Possibly one of the bests medicines on earth is giving to others. It is so healing to remove ourselves from the “poor-me” stories that we tend to create, and move into selfless acts of kindness. We get stuck in our egocentric minds, which tell us all the things we don’t have and can’t do. Perhaps this has been a survival method that helps us aim higher. However, doing good deeds for others actually releases “happy chemicals” in our brains and helps us focus on the things we do have. Every one of us has things we “need” or “want” in our lives…we also each have something to GIVE…no matter what our circumstances. Here are a few ideas on ways to give:
- Volunteer at a local, charitable organization. Not only will you feel good about helping out in your community, you will also gain new experiences and meet like-minded people. Check out Volunteer BC , Go Volunteer, City of Vancouver, or lookup any other interest you have and you will be sure to find volunteer opportunities that suit you.
- Help a friend or family member that is struggling. We all have our struggles and it’s easy to get absorbed in those, with an “every-man-for-himself” attitude. However, as soon as we take the focus off our own life to help a “friend-in-need,” we create a sense community. We are social creatures after all!
- Do a random act of kindness. Whether it be letting someone in front of you in a line-up, helping someone in the parking lot with a flat tire, giving someone your last chocolate, or lending someone a prized item- the smile of gratitude in return will sooth your soul!
- Find your part in healing and protecting our planet. This is the only one we’ve got! Recycle, start a compost, pick up trash you see on the trails, start or join an environmental group or campaign. Check out 50 Ways to Help the Planet, Greenpeace Canada, David Suzuki Foundation , Wilderness Committee , or keep your eyes peeled for the many other ways in which you can do your part.
- Donate, Fundraise, and make events/issues, that are important to your friends, a priority to you.
- SMILE. It’s contagious…
If anyone has some other great ideas or specifics on ways to give, please share! Your following and interest, of my blogs and website, means a lot to me and my future!